Raise your hands if you’d rather go to sleep than apply 10 products (or one toner 7 times). Don’t worry: these tips for younger looking skin take seconds – and really work!
Use a Vitamin C serum
Vitamin C is a power ingredient that does many things at the same time. It brightens the skin and evens out complexion, helps blemishes heal faster, and boosts collagen production. Beauty Insider recommends:
- The Body Shop Vitamin C Skin Boost. This bestselling serum combines Vitamin C with camu-camu berry and mineral glowing particled. Skin is smooth, radiant, and protected from Manila pollution and sun! Available at Body Shop outlets and SM department stores nationwide.
- Dear Klairs Freshly Juiced Vitamin C serum. One of the best serums for hyperpigmentation! It fades dark spots while nourishing and firming the skin.
- Skin Inc Vitamin C serum. Aside from brightening the skin, it helps pores look smaller and controls oil production. Combines Vitamin C with Vitamin B6 and Vitamin E.
Start using retinoids
Retinoids are still the superhero of anti-aging skincare ingredients. They minimize wrinkles, make skin thicker and more elastic, and slow down the breakdown of collagen. They also help fade sun spots. You can also bank on decades of clinically-proven, scientific research.
See your dermatologist to get the right retinoid strength for your skin. Plus, many Manila dermatologists carry brands that are only sold through doctors. (To avoid irritation, apply retinoids at night, and never mix them with these other skincare ingredients.)
Apply eye cream in the morning
Heavy eye creams will make your eyes look puffy when you wake up in the morning. Apply them in the morning, so it also preps your eye area for concealer. Read our article on the best eye cream for your concern — whether it’s dark circles, dryness, or puffiness.
Depuff your eyes, fast!
While your coffee’s brewing, wrap an ice cube around a wash cloth and press under your eye area. Or for a less messy fix, put two metal spoons in the freezer or used tea bags in the refrigerator. It’s xheap, effective, and one of the best ways to instantly fake younger looking skin.
“The eyes are one of the first places to show signs of aging or exhaustion,” says dermatologist Reby Reyes. “This won’t replace anti-wrinkle creams or treatments, but it’s a quick fix. I always do this when I’m jetlagged or haven’t had much sleep.”
Another easy way to prevent puffy eyes: sleep on two pillows! Elevating your head drains fluid from the eyes.
Power up your beauty sleep!
Your skin heals itself when you sleep, so this is the best time to apply skincare. You know the basics: cleanse, tone, add serum and a night cream. But just one additional product can help you wake up with glowing, younger looking skin: sleeping masks. The thicker consistency locks in the other products and gives you an extra boost of moisture. Beauty Insider recommends:
- Laneige Water Sleeping Mask. The ionized mineral water and ceramides delivers intense doses of moisture to stressed skin. Also contains Sleepscent™, a relaxing blend of ylang ylang, rose, sandalwood oil and orange flower.
- Olay Aqua Action Sleeping Mask. The Hydralock complex actually draws in moisture from the air. Your hair feels and looks more soft and supple, so your fine lines and pores aren’t as prominent.
- Malissa Kiss White Me Up Sleeping Pack. An overnight whitening cream for fairer, more radiant skin. The Vitamin C and alpha arbutin helps reduce dark spots and gives you luminous skin by morning.
Get a Hydra Facial
Dr. Gwen Matias, a dermatologist in Quezon City, recommends the Hydra Facial whenever your skin looks dry, dull and lifeless. In one treatment your face gets deep-cleansed (any whiteheads and blackheads are extracted), gently exfoliated, and then given a powerful serum. It’s not painful at all, because acne is gently sucked out by a little nozzle instead of being manually pricked. All throughout your skin is hydrated. (To book an appointment, contact MyDermaDoctor via Facebook or call 3557902.)
Everyone who’s tried the Hydra Facial looooves it. “My skin looked so good I didn’t want to wear makeup for the next to days!” says Janelle Quimpo. Another beauty reviewer says that it’s her favorite derma treatment. “It’s not painful like most blackhead/whitehead extractions. My skin looks brighter and healthier. And since the skin doesn’t get red, I can do it during my lunch break.”